Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Favorite Verse


"I love you, O LORD, my strength." Psalm 18:1

I'm hanging on to this today. Not feeling particularly strong on this gray, drizzly day. I want to curl up in bed with a good book and escape. I get this way when tasks seem to pile up. The scent of coffee beckons me to grab a blanket and begin. I must resist. =)

My schedule is full with plans for the weekend, mine and my boys'. I sometimes can't seem to see the big picture......."what needs to happen when and how to get the boys there.......and what do I need to pack?" Better "do the next thing" as Elisabeth Elliot encourages. Yet, the "next thing" isn't always clear to me and being a sequential type of person, order wants to dictate the day, my moments. That's when I loose my enjoyment of the day.....I'm the BEST rule follower you can imagine! (Even when there are no rules, per sae.) And, this steals the WONDER in life for me.

I'm beginning to see these things in my life......now, what to do about it? What would it look like to not be so encumbered by the legalism of my heart? I so desire to do "right" that I take my eyes off the One I love and who is my strength and start following the rules while glancing back occasionally to make sure I don't get too far away from Christ. It seems ok to do this in the moment, but this is the very thing that confuses my heart and my mind. I've made the "rules" my master........*sigh*.......and thus, feel weakened by them.

I'm so glad He is my strength. My boot straps broke long ago from picking myself up by them. Unfortunately, I still try to use them from time to time. They just fit so well in my hands. I just continue to forget that I don't need boot straps. I need Christ. I need Him today. I need Him. I don't need the reliance of self to press on and get it done. I need to rest during the busyness of life in His strength. That's when I experience His peace like never before. And I didn't even have to try to make it happen. He pours it out all over me and I'm soaking wet in the peace of Christ! And my little heart is full, happy.......penetrated by His love. It's true....."when I am weak, He is strong."

Lord, may this day be filled with the reminders of Your strength and love. Amen.

He is WONDER-ful~Jules

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Oh, Julie...this is something I struggle with so much, especially in living by the rules. I spend so much time trying to adhere to a set of standards instead of relying on the Lord moment by moment. I endeavor to be real and transparent...taking my strength from the Lord. Thanks for the reminder.